Friday, December 13, 2013

Self-Reflection


Throughout the course of this class, I have learned several things, but moreover this class took me more into depth on some topics that I have merely brushed across in my life so far. This project in general has forced me really truly take the animal kingdom apart and realize that each and every species has its own issues, history, and social perception. I have learned so much about dolphins and can’t wait to start researching some of these topics about other animals and species. I have learned that the human and non-human animal relationship is filled with love and compassion in some ways and yet in other ways still filled with misconception and misunderstanding. We, as a human race, have so very much to learn about these other animals. I had many thoughts and perceptions of my own coming into class, and although some may have slightly altered, many have only strengthened or pushed me to want more knowledge about these topics. The topics throughout this course have all impacted me greatly, for I now want to go out with this information and impact others, and make a difference for all these animals. As far as the top of the list goes, I would have to say breed discrimination and breed bullying are huge for me just because it is so widely misunderstood and miscommunicated. I am a former pitbull owner, and know from experience that these dogs are no different from the “sweet natured” dogs. Another topic for me would indeed be the marine mammals in captivity and zoo animal conservation because these are areas in which I may work in my future considering I want to use my animal science degree working with exotic animals. This course is extremely beneficial in the aspect that it instills facts and knowledge for these students to go out and share with the world, in turn hopefully making changes and a difference, but it also instills passion and compassion. These students will feel compassionate towards these animals and it my drive them to be so passionate about it that they go out and take on one or multiple of these issues on their own. I know that this class has instilled even more compassion in me, not towards animals because that compassion could not grow anymore, but towards humans. I have learned to forgive humans and try to help them understand these issues rather than just getting angry, frustrated and hateful towards them. This is a lesson I can carry with me through life and will positively affect me forever.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment